Purpose of role
To support CLH groups as an ‘adviser’ / ‘enabler’. Help groups to move towards their ambitions to create the homes that their communities need.
Terms and conditions
Term: Initially a 12 month fixed term contract
Hours: 4 days per week, flexible working is possible.
Salary: £28,000 PA
Holiday: 25 days per annum plus bank holidays pro rata, increasing by a day a year to a maximum of 30 days
Responsible to: CLT Director
Location: Predominantly the LCH office in Cross Green, Leeds, with flexibility to work from home/remotely occasionally if agreed by line manager. Some travel around the region and nationally.
Probationary period: 3 months
Pension and other conditions/benefits: statutory levels, e.g. no pension contributions from LCH until 6 months employment
A people powered revolution to create affordable, environmentally sustainable homes that communities need.
To create and enable more community-led, sustainable and affordable homes in Leeds and beyond.
- Community-led: We get behind people to help them to create affordable, sustainable homes
- Enterprising: We bring creativity and a can-do approach to tackling one of the defining social issues of our time
- Co-operative: We work collaboratively across the region with people who share our vision
- As a Community Land Trust (CLT), acquire land and buildings to create homes for affordable rental and sale
- Support other people and organisations to create Community-led Housing (CLH)
- Develop and implement a self-sustaining business model by 2021
- Create or enable 1000 community-led homes by 2027
- Through community share offers and other means, raise finance for CLH
- Promote Leeds Community Homes (LCH), and the benefits of a community-led approach to creating housing
- Engage the people of Leeds and beyond regarding how to create housing which makes for better places to live, for all of us
- Work at a strategic level, locally and nationally, to facilitate the development of the CLH movement
Work as a Community Led Housing (CLH) adviser and help enable groups to progress towards the creation of their housing ambitions.
- Attend accredited CLH training organised by the Confederation of Cooperative Housing (CCH) and others if accreditation not already gained
- Shadow and learn from colleagues and consultants
- Identify groups
- Identify support required
- Develop tailored package of support, negotiate memorandums of understanding with groups
- Help colleagues develop resources and systems to meet the needs of groups
- Share good practice with others locally and nationally
- Delivery of support with colleagues, independently yourself, or through managing consultants as you are/become able, for example:
- Write and deliver workshops
- Produce materials
- Business planning
- Community development
- Legal support
- Access to land
- Access to finance
- Site visits
- Liaison with consultants, architects etc, drawing up briefs
- Evaluate opportunities
- Facilitate collaboration/partnership working
- Coordinate meetings
- Events management
- Manage timelines
- Reports to groups, line manager and LCH Board
- Other support tasks as requested by line manager or directors
You will be expected to manage your own travel arrangements in order to attend meetings away from the office.
- Maintain records
Point of contact for groups
- Respond to email, telephone and social media enquiries from members and other stakeholders and/or triage out to colleagues
- Familiarity with technology and use of platforms like Google apps, Monday.com, Basecamp
- All other administration tasks as required by the business and to support colleagues
- Prepare financial reports for colleagues, board, funders
- Diarise funding and finance deadlines for groups and LCH, and ensure these are met eg annual returns, insurance renewals, subscriptions etc
- Any other financial administration tasks as required
- Assist with events management inc general LCH events, and enabler program events including admin relating to supporting groups.
- Eventbrite, communications, printed materials, room hire, catering, resources etc
- Coordinating meetings with external stakeholders
Assist in event organisation and running in any other ways required
Occasionally attend events, conferences, workshops etc representing LCH
- Meet and communicate with members
- Other Marketing and communications tasks as required
About You (Person Spec)
Experience, knowledge and attitude
- Share our values and vision. Committed to our objectives
- A good understanding of the needs of groups and voluntary activity and previous experience of working with voluntary groups
- Understanding of community led housing. Aware of the different types of community led housing and its five different stages, and the needs of groups and schemes at each stage.
It will be an advantage / desirable to also:
- Have previous experience of working within or alongside a community led housing scheme or schemes.
- Be an accredited Community Led Housing Adviser or have undertaken the national course.
- Have previous experience of working in the construction industry or social housing sector
Skills you will need
- Organisation: disciplined, reliable, undertaking scheduling, liaising with colleagues, calendar
- Technology: proficiency in using a range of software/apps, including word processors, spreadsheets, databases, email, calendars, social media platforms
- Communication: excellent written and verbal language skills, professional and friendly, good customer service
- Time management: punctual and productive. Self motivated, open to feedback and tips.
- Office coordination: safety, security, common sense, use of equipment (printers etc), ordering supplies
- Problem solving: flexible and creative, teamwork to find solutions
- Planning: prioritising, project management awareness, attention to detail, event organisation
- Learning: enjoyment of improvement, willingness to undertake training
- Policy: abiding by existing LCH policies, the law, sector good practice. Develop and review policies as required.
- Ethics: an understanding of and harmony with the values of the organisation. Integrity and trustworthiness.